Sunday, February 6, 2011

Walking with Dixie and Cookie

Tried an experiment today - time to get out and start training for the Breast Cancer 3Day every chance the weather will let me, so this afternoon I decided to get my 2 lazy dogs in on the action.  We have a golden retrieiver (Dixie) who's about 100 lb - I know, no judgement please - and a little pomerschnoodle (yes, she is just as cute as her breed name suggests!).  They both also need exercise - so to kill 3 birds with one stone, we headed out.  Paul has cut a "road" on the left side property line all the way back to the back property line and there was already a "trail" on the other side.  Since we back up to the wildlife refuge and power lines, it makes a good route to follow.  I took Dixie first with a 20' lead (turned out to be too long) and by the time it took us to go, it's about 1/2 mile route. She loved it and we'll definately do it again.  Then I came back to get Cookie with her harness and 3' lead (not long enough) and she loved it too.  Not the optimum walk for me since I need to build up to many miles at a time, but now I know the route length and I could take either dog with me and they can get some exercise too.  Now they're both laid out on the floor as if we'd walked a marathon.  Guess they'll have to build up their endurance too.  I'm excited about walking the 3Day again this year - please if you can, go to http://www.the3day.org/ and click on Donate Now and find my name and make a donation.  I have to raise $2300 - much harder than getting in shape for the event!  Thanks for any help!

No comments:

Post a Comment