Saturday, November 19, 2011

28 years

Today is our anniversary - Paul and I have been married 28 years!  That's a long time, y'all!!  I want to share here a poem I wrote for Paul on our 15th anniversary and I still feel the same. 

You Are The One


I wondered, as all little girls do, who I'd spend the rest of my life with.
And when I imagined being in love, "happily ever after" was not a myth.
Though we came to each other from different directions
We immediately recognized God's connection.
Love, honor and cherish - we promised to do.
So began our journey, at first just two.
Soon blessed with a son, we had found paradise:
Love, never more clear than in a child's eyes.
Almost half my life now I've spent with you
And I realize the joys and trials, too,
Which are part of God's plan for our life together
Serve to make us complete, stronger, better.
As outside activities compete for our time
I still treasure the moments that are just yours and mine.
As we celebrate the anniversary of our wedding day
I renew my commitment to you this way:
To be your helpmeet, strong by your side
Knowing as you lead, God is your Guide.
Why did we marry? God put us together!
You are the one for me now and forever!
Tonight at our anniversary dinner at Texas Roadhouse, I heard the country song "One Boy, One Girl" and the lines reminded me of our meeting:

One boy, one girl - two hearts beating wildly.
To put it mildly it was love at first sight.
He smiled, she smiled, they knew right away
This was the day they'd waited for all their lives.
And for a moment the whole world revolved around one boy and one girl.

We met in Sunday School at Sherwood Baptist in Albany, GA where I was a member.  Paul came in one Sunday morning visiting (he was working and living with his aunt and uncle who were also members) and we all turned around to see who was coming in the door.  I saw a very good looking young man who needed a place to sit, and I just happened to be sitting on the front row with an empty seat beside me which he took.  That was it!!!  We became friends but the Holy Spirit had already told me we'd be together.  Our first date - I asked him for a ride home with the promise of hot chocolate - was after a Christmas program we both were a part of and it lasted a llllllooooonnnngggg time - lots of talking and beginning to get to know each other.  I told my roommate after he left that I'd just been out with the one I'd marry.  And so we did, less than a year later.  When you know, you know; I knew then and I still know now.

No comments:

Post a Comment