Friday, March 25, 2011

Anunciation

Today, on the calendar is The Anunciation of the Lord - 9 months before we celebrate Christmas.  Of course, we know that Jesus was not born on December 25, but for the sake of our calendar that's when it's celebrated.  So since we celebrate Christmas on Dec 25, today we celebrate The Anunciation.  As a woman, this remembrance is really significant to me.  In some of my pregnancy thoughts (a long time ago!) I imagined what it would be like to be carrying God's Son, and that I was the only one who knew other than my fiance.  What a dilemna Mary lived with, and how dangerous!  And before she even knew what everything she was agreeing to meant, she was agreeing - and cheerfully!  Mary was not revered in her lifetime as being the Queen Mother (nod to the modern day royals) but she literally lived with her reward (Jesus), and will for eternity continue to live with Him.  I can't wait to meet her. 

Mary, how did it feel to raise God's Son?  Did he ever not behave perfectly?  I know he must have said yes, ma'am and no ma'am.  Did you wonder if you and Joseph could handle it?  Did you feel any support from the mom's group you belonged to?  How old was he when he walked and talked and was potty trained? 
Mary, this is your day to be honored.  Thank you for your sacrifice and for being the model of a servant.  Thanks for showing me how to mother.  I didn't always follow your awesome example but, being the mother of a boy, I often thought of you and wondered...WWMD?

No comments:

Post a Comment