Saturday, March 12, 2011

Instructions

Preparing for the scholarship tests, I had to write a set of instructions for the proctors.  I did this for both tests at one time - way last week (last week is a long time ago when you're old!).  This morning as I was in the shower - don't you get your revelations then? - I, all of a sudden, wondered if I had today's instruction sheet printed and in each proctor's box.  Thought about it all the way to the school, came in my office and printed another copy for each box, then went to the testing building - only to find out that I had, indeed, placed a set of instructions in each box.  Whew!  But as I thought about the panic I had been in to make sure everyone knew exactly what to do, God reminded me that I need instructions too.  So do you, yes you!  Where are we to get our instructions?  From His Word, of course and from all those He places in our lives and speaks through.  He uses our parents - if you remember that little commandment from "the top 10" about honoring your mother and father, this is what it's all about.  God does use them to give us our instructions; sometimes they seem/sound like marching orders, but that's beside the point.  God also uses others around us in authority positions: teacher, boss, pastor and friends, too.  But mainly His instructions come through THE MANUAL - His Word, the Bible.  When situations come up or questions about life, this is what we're to refer to.  Ideally, I will have read the instruction manual enough that He could bring scripture and lessons to mind to guide me.  I said, ideally - but I need lots of refreshing!  I commit to spending more time (some days that would be any time) re-reading the manual during Lent.  And I commit to making that a habit and continuing from now on.  Though the instructions don't change, God has a way of bringing you to the part that you'll need as you need it.  Ain't He good?!

No comments:

Post a Comment