Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Let me be a little...

God spoke to me again today through the radio.  The Oak Ridge Boys were singing what I remember as an old Glen Campbell (author and performer) song, "Let Me Be A Little Kinder."  I think He meant it for me so I will try to be a little...when the situation fits.

Let me be a little kinder

Let me be a little blinder
To the faults of those about me
Let me praise a little more
It's so easy to be nice and it costs nothing.  Lord, please help me remember that I can choose my responses and make the decision about how to react.  And, really, how hard is it to praise?!  Again, the cost is nothing but thought and brings such a great reward.

Let me be when I am weary
Just a little bit more cheery
Think a little more of others
And a little less of me
I think it's human nature to be short with someone (no comments please!) when you're tired, stressed, etc. but those are the very times when God calls us to show His character, not ours.

Let me be a little braver
When temptation bids me waver
Matthew 26:41 talks about the spirt being willing but the flesh being weak.  I would never suppose to argue with Jesus, but in my case it seems that the flesh (myself) wins out more than my spirit, which knows and tells me the right things to do.  Please, Lord, help me to listen to You and not to me.

Let me strive a little harder
To be all that I should be
There aren't many "cruise days" in life, so Lord, please help me make the most of all of them. 

Let me be a little meeker
With the brother that is weaker
It's so easy to be proud about our accomplishments, children, work, _______________.  But all that is less than zero to our God.  Isaiah 64:6 reminds us that our righteousness is as filthy rags.  The picture of these filthy rags is (look away if you're squeamish) what was used on oozing, pus-y sores from lepers.  Yep, that's pretty much all my good stuff is worth!
Let me think more of my neighbor
And a little less of me.
Philippians 2:3, "Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves."  I think this says it all.  God means for us to think of others as better than ourselves.  Lord, please help me think of myself lots less often.  That will naturally make more room for others in my thoughts, which should lead to right actions and uplifting words.  How 'bout that?  We actuall CAN "let this mind be in you which also was in Christ Jesus." Philippians 2:5

No comments:

Post a Comment